Open a Company in the Energy Sector in France
Open a Company in the Energy Sector in FranceUpdated on Friday 14th December 2018
based on 1 reviews.
France has a free energy market which enables consumers to choose their suppliers and investors the freedom to open companies which supply energy in the desired region of the country. Even so, French energy companies are required to comply with several laws, among which the newest is the Law on Energetic Transition for Green Growth. This law was passed in 2015.
If you want to open a company in the energy sector our lawyers in France can guide you.
Steps to set up a company in the energy sector in France
The company registration procedure of an energy company in France starts with the incorporation of one of the available business forms with the Chamber of Commerce. Private and public companies are preferred business forms for carrying out energy supply services.
Our law firm in France can help with the formation of the energy company.
Licensing of an energy company in France
In order to start operating on the French market, an energy company must first register with the Energy Regulatory Commission which will issue the operational license. Apart from this license, the company must also comply with a few mandatory requirements, among which:
- - respect the requirements of the Competition Authority which implies standard prices for the supply of energy;
- - respect the EU regulations related to the distribution of electricity or other types of energy;
- - foreign companies are also allowed to operate on the French market as long as they register with the EU and French regulators;
- - special licenses are required in the case of mergers or takeovers of a local energy by a foreign one.
Our French lawyers can explain how mergers and acquisitions are completed here.
Sources of energy in France
Foreign investors opening energy companies in France can use the following sources:
- - fossil fuels, among which coal is the most employed resource;
- - nuclear resources;
- - renewable energy sources, such as wind, solar and biofuels.
The government also offers various incentives for French energy companies relying on renewable resources, in accordance with the provisions of the 2015 Energy Law.
For full information on the requirements related to opening a company in the energy sector in France, please contact our local law firm.